Rain Thoughts

We had rain and thunderstorms most of the day today. In fact by 8:00 pm when it finally stopped we had accumulated 2 inches, which is a fair bit for our area. I was mildly annoyed when I woke from a nap at 5:00 pm and found it starting to rain. I needed to take my dog for a walk. She’s not got much for fur, so walking in the rain is really not her favourite thing. So I sat back down on the couch and looked at my phone for a bit in annoyance. After a few minutes I got up and went around opening almost all the windows in the house, hoping the cooler air from the rain would cool the house off, and then I made popcorn because if nothing else I could have something to eat while I waited for the rain to stop.

Then I sat on the couch again, right beside a window. I finally looked out the window for more than half a second. I really looked. I watched the raindrops pound down into the puddles on the deck, bounce off the car in the driveway, and form little rivers down the edge of our street. And I started to notice things. The first thing was that the rain was actually coming straight down. There was no wind, it wasn’t being blown against the house. I noticed that I couldn’t hear any birds chirping, everyone had hunkered down for the storm somewhere. And I noticed the sound of the rain, the hard drumming of the heavy rain on the roof and the deck and the trees next to the house. And how the waves of sound changed as the intensity of the rain changed. And of course I noticed the thunder (though I didn’t want to mention that since I’m likely to get flack for having all my windows open during a thunderstorm), it's deep rumble, a few times so close that you could feel it, like sitting in a teenagers truck with a subwoofer under the seat, except way better.

It was lovely to sit and just watch and listen to it.

So, Radar and I sat on the couch eating popcorn and listening to the rain. I’m pretty sure she liked the rain too, not just the popcorn. I finally relaxed a bit and gave up trying to make a plan around nature.

Eventually I wandered back into the kitchen with an empty popcorn bowl. As I set it down on the counter I glanced out the window and noticed water just pouring over the side of the eavestrough.


That only means one thing: It’s clogged. So I ran and changed into shorts, grabbed a hat and threw on my “water-resistant” coat (Ahem, water resistant is not waterproof, Briana. Surprisingly enough, water resistant is not all that helpful in a downpour), and my Vibram Fivefingers.

And then I did what I end up doing every summer during heaviest rain of the first downpour of the season… I crawled out the upstairs window onto the roof, and walked across the house to unclog the downspouts. Since I’ve already admitted to having my windows open during a thunderstorm I may as well admit that I was also home alone while doing this, so no one knew I was up there.

After clearing the jam from the one on the back of the house I walked across to check the one at the front, jammed as well. So I cleared that one too.On my walk back to the window, I noticed that the eavestrough that goes across the front of the garage was overflowing too.

I actually legitimately stopped and thought about this one for a few seconds. It goes around the front of the garage on a sort of false roof line. A section of roof that divides the first and second levels of the house above the garage.

This false roof is about a 16-18 inches wide. It’s 10-12 feet off the ground. It’s pouring rain. No one knows I’m on the roof. No one else is even home. I’m soaked.

So obviously, I walked out onto the narrow edge.

I kept as close to the wall of the house as I could. I carefully went around the corner, basically hugging it, and then made my way gingerly across the front of the house to the far corner. I had my hands on the wall the whole time. Gripping the window frames or the corners of the house when I came to them (because hanging onto an inch wide piece of slippery plastic window frame is obviously going to save me from falling 12 feet to the concrete driveway if I lose my footing). When I got to the corner of the house I hung onto the edge piece (how very secure and safe of you, Briana) of the siding and knelt down on the false roof, leaning to clear the clogged downspout. Once it was cleared I stood back up very carefully, and then retraced my precarious path back to the main roof, and back inside through the window.

After all the roof stuff I ran around the backyard connecting the overflowing main rainwater tank to the secondary tank, hoping to drain a bit off and get the second tank filled up. Every time I stepped on one of the round paving stones that make a trail across the backyard, I stepped into an inch deep puddle of water.

The best part is, besides the eavestroughs being cleared, that after the rain finally stopped, there was amazing raindrops on everything so I got to take plenty of lovely macro photos of raindrops on plants!